In this video, I walk you through Eight Benefits available through California Workers’ Compensation. I also review two bonus benefits that are not strictly workers” compensation but are used frequently by injured workers.
Benefit # 1: Temporary Total Disability (TTD)
– Eligible if you are not permanent and stationary and your claim is accepted and your PTP WC doctor has you off work or modified duties that your employer cannot accommodate.
– Has minimum and maximum amounts
– Most people are paid 2/3 of their gross average weekly wage (AWW)
– TTD is not taxed
Benefit # 2: Medical Treatment
– Employers must pay up to ,000 during decision period
– Work comp treatment similar to HMO. Must select PTP from Medical Provider Network
– Doctors must get treatment pre-approved by the insurance company
– Examples: chiro, acupuncture, PT, massage therapy, home tens unit, cortisone injections, surgery, DME, Dx testing.
Benefit # 3: Permanent Disability (PD)
– PD is determined based on the AMA Guides using both objective and subjective factors
– Life pension is 70% PD or more – payments continue at a lower rate after your normal PD has been paid out.
– I give specific dollar amounts that correspond to permanent disability percentages.
– Misnomer – money you get for condition permanent to you
– Percentage considers you body part, age, and job
Benefit # 4: Supplemental Job Displacement Benefit (SJDB) Voucher
– Voucher is for ,000
– Eligible for retraining if you are too injured to continue working your pre-injury job
– Can do it alone or with a vocational counselor.
– You have 2 years to use the voucher once issued
Benefit # 5: Mileage Reimbursement / Travel Expenses
– Accepted cases, workers are reimbursed mileage for round trip to their work comp doctors.
– Both Accepted and Denied cases are eligible for Mileage for QME (neutral doctor) or Depositions
Benefit #6: Temporary Partial Disability (TPD)
– Eligible when your doctor give you modified duties but your employer’s accommodations pay much less than you were making before.
* Could be reduced hours or lower paying position
– Would have to be making less that your TTD rate or 2/3 of your gross.
Benefit # 7: Death Benefits
– Dependents must call right away to claim the death benefits!
– Dependent can be immediate family or anyone the deceased worker supported financially regularly. Can be rent, money, or other thing that had value.
– Death benefit claims may be up to 0,000
– Meant to pay for burial expenses and loss of financial support
Benefit # 8: Attorney Fees for Depositions
– LC 5710 provides the insurance company must pay for the injured worker’s attorney for an appearance at a deposition. Covers the deposition preparation and defense.
Bonus Benefit # 1: EDD Disability (SDI)
– EDD Benefits can last a maximum of one year
– EDD rate is comparable to TTD
– A work comp doctor OR you personal doctor may certify you cannot work.
Bonus Benefit # 2: Return to Work Supplement Program (RTWSP)
– Program offers an additional ,000 check to you
– Eligible if you received an SJDB voucher
– You have one year to apply once you receive the voucher
Please note this information will only be relevant for injuries that are under the jurisdiction of California WCAB. Benefits vary greatly state to state.
TEXT “CONSULT” to (909) 266-0003 or Call us to get answers from an attorney.
We serve injured workers and fight for them to receive all their benefits especially medical treatment and compensation.
Hello, my name is Naomi. I have been practicing in Southern California since 2012. I opened my own firm because after seeing how the work comp “mills” functioned, I knew there was a better way. My firm is different because our clients are able to access their attorney and we focus on client education, so they are informed and feel comfortable throughout the entire work comp process.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Gonzalez Law Firm, APC.
Call: (909) 266-0003
Text: (310) 683-5725
Call us or TEXT “CONSULT” to (909) 266-0003 or Call us
© 2021 Gonzalez Law Firm, APC. All Rights Reserved. This video is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship. Information provided is applicable in California Only. This video is intended for Gonzalez Law Firm clients only. Every case is different and certain statements may be not applicable to your case. This video is only applicable for Workers’ Compensation cases not other types of law. If you want information specific to your case contact Gonzalez Law Firm, APC.
A special thanks to freepik.com and topntp26 for the virtual background.
a href= photo created by topntp26 –